Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire District 3 in Monroe were called just after 3:30 a.m. by prison staff at the Twin Rivers Unit. The corrections officers saw a smoke-filled building and flames.
The unoccupied building houses classrooms, offices and laundry facilities.
Authorities believe the fire was started by some oily rags in a laundry cart.
Offender housing units are separated from the building. Inmates were not endangered by the fire. No injuries were reported.
Damage is estimated at $1,500.
More Local News Headlines
Everett teens were shot because one wore blue, police say State attorneys are investigating Eyman's use of initiative money Panel gives green light to unfair labor practices case against Roe Painter Elizabeth Webber leaves a legacy of faith, courage and art Family recognized for operating same small farm for 127 years People who live along lakes can make a difference to protect them 2 papal parades, more passes available after ticket outcry Opportunities
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.