Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire District 3 in Monroe were called just after 3:30 a.m. by prison staff at the Twin Rivers Unit. The corrections officers saw a smoke-filled building and flames.
The unoccupied building houses classrooms, offices and laundry facilities.
Authorities believe the fire was started by some oily rags in a laundry cart.
Offender housing units are separated from the building. Inmates were not endangered by the fire. No injuries were reported.
Damage is estimated at $1,500.
More Local News Headlines
Study says Paine Field should be used for business, not museum Judge to decide future of sex crime case against ex-police sergeant Tamper-proof cigarette bins may cut down on litter in downtown Everett 2 arrested in fatal shooting near Lynnwood; victim unidentified 6:31 a.m. 'The voice of reason': Mill Creek Police Chief Bob Crannell to retire Boy, 12, brings inoperable gun to school and is arrested 6:13 a.m. Camano Island Fire and Rescue seeks volunteers; meeting Oct. 13 Arlington man identified as rider in fatal motorcycle crash
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.