Firefighters from Snohomish County Fire District 3 in Monroe were called just after 3:30 a.m. by prison staff at the Twin Rivers Unit. The corrections officers saw a smoke-filled building and flames.
The unoccupied building houses classrooms, offices and laundry facilities.
Authorities believe the fire was started by some oily rags in a laundry cart.
Offender housing units are separated from the building. Inmates were not endangered by the fire. No injuries were reported.
Damage is estimated at $1,500.
More Local News Headlines
Former sergeant admits he helped launder prostitution money Brief visit by Obama expected to snarl Seattle traffic Possible norovirus outbreak at Colby living facility Shirley Gilbertson loved her temp job so much, she stayed on for free Conferees shape leaner budget for military pay, benefits Front Porch: Jackson volleyball hosts fundraiser Applause In Uniform
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.