Sixteen-year-old Tristin Beck tells The Seattle Times he must have swallowed the bristle when he ate a piece of chicken during a barbecue.
His mom says that as his symptoms worsened, doctors at Seattle Children's hospital ran "about a million tests." Finally, on Sunday night, they performed an exploratory surgery and found the tiny strand of wire stuck inside Beck's small intestine.
Beck is expected to make a full recovery.
Experts say such cases occur more often than people might think. One was in Washington last July, when Tacoma's Adam Wojtanowicz underwent emergency surgery because of a brush bristle.
More Northwest Headlines
Stanwood man pleads guilty to stealing from Swinomish tribe Death penalty dropped from Carnation killings trial Poll: Just 30 percent inclined to re-elect Gov. Inslee GOP lawmakers want Washington to look at Planned Parenthood Salvation Army sets up charging ports for Portland homeless Spokane criminal faces 30th felony charge Police: Couple charged in Seattle dog fighting operation Activists rappel off Oregon bridge to stop Shell icebreaker
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.