Sixteen-year-old Tristin Beck tells The Seattle Times he must have swallowed the bristle when he ate a piece of chicken during a barbecue.
His mom says that as his symptoms worsened, doctors at Seattle Children's hospital ran "about a million tests." Finally, on Sunday night, they performed an exploratory surgery and found the tiny strand of wire stuck inside Beck's small intestine.
Beck is expected to make a full recovery.
Experts say such cases occur more often than people might think. One was in Washington last July, when Tacoma's Adam Wojtanowicz underwent emergency surgery because of a brush bristle.
More Northwest Headlines
Banned transgender customers to get $400K from Portland bar 12:59 p.m. Legislative leaders: Auditor Troy Kelley should resign 12:56 p.m. Woman dies after Lake Washington boating accident 1:01 p.m. Regulators cite violations at assisted living facility 12:58 p.m. Mayor seeks aid for Portland homeless 3:44 p.m. Lawmakers seek to close portion of trail 12:58 p.m. Pot sales banned in Klamath County 1:00 p.m. Columbia River water levels hit 6-year low 12:58 p.m.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.