Sixteen-year-old Tristin Beck tells The Seattle Times he must have swallowed the bristle when he ate a piece of chicken during a barbecue.
His mom says that as his symptoms worsened, doctors at Seattle Children's hospital ran "about a million tests." Finally, on Sunday night, they performed an exploratory surgery and found the tiny strand of wire stuck inside Beck's small intestine.
Beck is expected to make a full recovery.
Experts say such cases occur more often than people might think. One was in Washington last July, when Tacoma's Adam Wojtanowicz underwent emergency surgery because of a brush bristle.
More Northwest Headlines
'I wish it was me': As families mourn, state calls for volunteers 7:54 a.m. Officials urge evacuation for Okanogan area as fire rages 8:14 a.m. Boise State basketball player dismissed from team after Tacoma shooting charge Evacuation order for Tonasket as wildfire danger increases Volunteer equipment operators welcomed at Washington fires Suspect in March fatal shooting at mobile home arrested Yakima council votes down homeless service center Man sentenced to 20 years in prison for fatal DUI crash
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.