The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus The Daily Herald on Linked In HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Mountlake Terrace boy learns what caused illness: wire bristle

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
Associated Press
Published:
SEATTLE -- After nearly two weeks of cramping and vomiting, a Mountlake Terrace teenager finally learned what caused his illness: swallowing a bristle from a wire grill brush.
Sixteen-year-old Tristin Beck tells The Seattle Times he must have swallowed the bristle when he ate a piece of chicken during a barbecue.
His mom says that as his symptoms worsened, doctors at Seattle Children's hospital ran "about a million tests." Finally, on Sunday night, they performed an exploratory surgery and found the tiny strand of wire stuck inside Beck's small intestine.
Beck is expected to make a full recovery.
Experts say such cases occur more often than people might think. One was in Washington last July, when Tacoma's Adam Wojtanowicz underwent emergency surgery because of a brush bristle.

More Northwest Headlines

NEWSLETTER

HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates

Calendar