Sixteen-year-old Tristin Beck tells The Seattle Times he must have swallowed the bristle when he ate a piece of chicken during a barbecue.
His mom says that as his symptoms worsened, doctors at Seattle Children's hospital ran "about a million tests." Finally, on Sunday night, they performed an exploratory surgery and found the tiny strand of wire stuck inside Beck's small intestine.
Beck is expected to make a full recovery.
Experts say such cases occur more often than people might think. One was in Washington last July, when Tacoma's Adam Wojtanowicz underwent emergency surgery because of a brush bristle.
More Northwest Headlines
Everett man killed in car vs. bicycle collision near Mattawa 1:01 p.m. 4.3 earthquake recorded north of Coulee Dam 12:46 p.m. Favorable weather conditions help Washington firefighters 12:42 p.m. Family, doctor say injured firefighter making slow progress 2:58 p.m. Former hero pleads guilty to Oregon bank robbery 1:46 p.m. Franchises want more time to pay Seattle $15 minimum wage 1:36 p.m. 4 living units at Walla Walla Penitentiary on lockdown 12:45 p.m. Seattle-area blood bank sued by transgender woman 12:45 p.m.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.