Sixteen-year-old Tristin Beck tells The Seattle Times he must have swallowed the bristle when he ate a piece of chicken during a barbecue.
His mom says that as his symptoms worsened, doctors at Seattle Children's hospital ran "about a million tests." Finally, on Sunday night, they performed an exploratory surgery and found the tiny strand of wire stuck inside Beck's small intestine.
Beck is expected to make a full recovery.
Experts say such cases occur more often than people might think. One was in Washington last July, when Tacoma's Adam Wojtanowicz underwent emergency surgery because of a brush bristle.
More Northwest Headlines
With power still out for tens of thousands, Spokane faces a cold Thanksgiving 3:41 p.m. WWU cancels classes Tuesday over hate speech on social media Agency: 19 people ill in E. coli outbreak tied to Costco 5:12 p.m. Spokane approves $250,000 for defense in jail death case 1:40 p.m. Kennewick stepdad suspected of abusing baby 1:39 p.m. Opponents of Initiative 1366 file new suit in King County 1:38 p.m. Fishing at the heart of Lummi Nation Washington Costco pulls chicken salad off shelves due to E. coli
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.