The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Colville 10-year-old sentenced for plotting attack

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
Associated Press
COLVILLE -- A 10-year-old boy who plotted to attack a classmate at Fort Colville Elementary School was sentenced to three to five years in a juvenile detention facility on Wednesday by Stevens County Superior Court Judge Allen Nielson.
The boy's attorney indicated they plan to appeal.
Stevens County Prosecutor Tim Rasmussen asked for an exceptional sentence that would have put the boy in custody until at least the age of 16.
The boy pleaded guilty just before the start of his trial in April. He was charged with conspiracy to commit murder, juvenile in possession of a firearm and witness tampering.
The second defendant in the case, an 11-year-old boy, remains in custody.
The two fifth-graders were arrested Feb. 7 after officials discovered them trying to sneak a gun and knife into their school. Police interviewed the boys, who confessed they had been planning on attacking a classmate that same day.
The boys were expelled from school.
The 11-year-old boy is currently having his mental competency evaluated by doctors at Eastern State Hospital. The tests will evaluate the boy's sanity and his fitness to stand trial.
Dr. Kevin Hyde addressed Wednesday's sentencing hearing by phone, saying that he had met the 10-year-old boy for three sessions and felt he was not a high risk to commit violent acts. Hyde said the prosecution sentencing recommendation was inappropriate.
"I think it would be wrong to incarcerate this child until the age of 16. We don't need to ruin this child's life," Hyde said.
The mother of the girl who was the target of the boys' attack said her daughter forgave the boys, and asked for a sentence of longer than two years.
Rasmussen, in seeking an exceptional sentence, said the boy "was dangerous on Feb. 7 and he's dangerous today."
"He doesn't think in terms of how his actions affect other people. There's something missing in him," Rasmussen said, adding that the boy's thinking was "like a video game. There's someone in your way, you kill them."

More Northwest Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates


Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus