Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, who is hosting a celebrity softball game at Tacoma's Cheney Stadium this summer, announced via the event's Facebook page Wednesday that Lance Easley will be the game's umpire. And if that name doesn't ring a bell, you certainly will remember the moment that made Easley famous. Easley is best known as the replacement ref who signaled touchdown on Golden Tate's game-winning catch against Green Bay on Monday Night Football, the play largely credited with ending the replacement official era.
Along with the picture posted here, Sherman (or whoever else might be running that FB page) also wrote: "Remember the Ref who called TD during the Green Bay Game Monday Night??? His name is Lance Easley and he is going to Umpire for us July 7th! Don't be surprised if a few flags are thrown."
And sure, some sensitive Packers fans might not think this is funny, but before anyone freaks out about Sherman's latest antics, remember that proceeds from the game are going to Helping a Hero, a charity that helps wounded veterans, as well as other local charities.
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Seahawks sign draft picks Frank Clark and Tyler Lockett May 26
- Pete Carroll on Russell Wilson contract talks May 26
- Notes from Seahawks’ first OTA of the offseason May 26
- Russell Wilson, Jimmy Graham and Cliff Avril to miss Seahawks’ first OTA May 26
- Seahawks TE Jimmy Graham shares his inspirational story May 21
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.