1. Running out of cash: Most businesses start self-funded. Owners put in some of their own money and don't take money out. At some point, the owner can no longer afford to contribute financially and must close the business.
2. Getting burned out: Almost everyone who owns a business puts in long hours to make it successful. But most people can't keep that pace going for the long term. It's easy to lose the passion and drive that you had when the business started.
3. Being complacent with customers: It's important for small-business owners not to take customers for granted. Whenever you come in contact with your best customers, take the time to recognize them, ask them for input, and find out what you can do to improve. When owners stop interacting with customers, those people think that you don't care and look elsewhere.
4. Changing competitive landscapes: If you become successful, other businesses will try to compete with you. Competitors might differentiate themselves by offering other products and services with lower prices, shorter lead times and better guarantees, value and quality. Your business' survival depends on how you react to the competition. Learn about your competitors and how you compare to them.
5. Shifting technology: If your business provides a technology service, keep up to date on training and customers' demands. If your business develops a technology product, don't overdesign the product when the competition offers something simpler. Stay up to date with interfaces between customers and suppliers. It's important to be able to easily transfer information. Don't develop an application without input from users and customers.
MORE HBJ HEADLINES
Why are raises elusive with record U.S. job openings? Arlington firm has high hopes for 'Safer Choice' eco-logo Cage-free eggs will change the industry Russiaís 2nd largest airline in crisis as bankruptcy looms Wal-Mart cuts HQ 'to become a more agile company' Court upholds $236 million verdict against Exxon Mobil
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.