Instead, it's Grape-Nuts. No really, Grape-Nuts.
On June 1, local hiker James Kurseman will head up Mount Si with samples of Grape Nuts Fit to hand out to other hikers. The event is to commemorate the 60th anniversary of Sir Edmund Hillary's first ascent on Mount Everest.
According to a press release, Hillary took Grape-Nuts with him on his historic trip. So, to commemorate, hikers are handing out cereal at 60 peaks around the U.S. around May 29, the official anniversary of the ascent.
So, if you're heading up Si on that day, watch out for Kurseman. As he says on his website, he'll be the tall guy handing out cereal. Should be hard to miss him.
(Note, his website said May 27, but the date has been changed and his site hasn't been updated yet. June 1 is the correct date.)
Most recent Explore NW posts
- 9 days of wilderness and backpacking on the PCT Sep. 27
- Trip on the PCT is life changing for creator of popular podcast Sep. 27
- Youth volunteers spend two weeks working on PCT Sep. 27
- State parks, national parks, forest service sites will be free on Saturday Sep. 23
- Dance, dine and help underserved kids get outside Sep. 17
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.