Structurally deficient Snohomish County bridges
The federal government keeps a list, which designated the Skagit River bridge as "fuctionally obsolete" (its design is outdated) but structurally safe.
Snohomish County keeps a list, which has 14 of 200 county-road bridges cited as "structurally deficient."
And the state of Washington keeps a list, last updated in 2011, which has seven state highway bridges in Snohomish County categorized as structurally deficient. Structurally deficient doesn't mean unsafe. It means it's time for repair or replacement. Two of those state-managed bridges have since been repaired or replaced.
Four of the seven bridges serve the short but busy stretch of Highway 529 between Everett and Marysville. One of those, across Ebey Slough, has recently been replaced.
State-managed structurally deficient bridges in Snohomish County
View Snohomish County structurally deficient state bridges in a larger map
- No cause pinpointed in wreck that killed trooper 11/11/13
- Attention turns to Skagit bridge retrofit 9/16/13
- Dozens of state bridges have multiple red flags 9/15/13
- New I-5 bridge section over Skagit River opens 9/15/13
- 10 Things: Making sense of nation's bad bridges 9/15/13
- Crews installing new I-5 Skagit bridge span 9/14/13
- Canadian shoppers lacking after I-5 bridge failure 8/18/13
- Metal piece comes loose on new Skagit River Bridge 7/27/13
- More clearance planned for Skagit River I-5 bridge 7/24/13
- Inspection Saturday for Skagit River bridge 6/28/13
- State knew I-5 span over Skagit had taken damaging hits 6/20/13
- Traffic moves again on I-5 across Skagit River 6/19/13
- Traffic moving again on I-5 bridge over Skagit River 6/19/13
- Skagit River bridge on I-5 to reopen Wednesday 6/18/13
- Temporary I-5 Skagit River span to open this week 6/17/13
- Even after fix, Skagit bridge will be 'functionally obsolete' 6/17/13
- NTSB: Driver felt 'crowded' before bridge collapse 6/11/13
- Temporary Skagit bridge span moved into place 6/10/13
- Crews 'launching the bridge' across Skagit River 6/6/13
- Investigators seek driver who passed truck that hit bridge 6/5/13
Most recent Need to Know posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.