The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Paralytic shellfish poisoning case confirmed in Ketchikan

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
Associated Press
JUNEAU, Alaska -- State health officials say they have confirmed a case of paralytic shellfish poisoning near Ketchikan.
Greg Wilkinson of the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services told KINY-AM that a woman was hospitalized Tuesday.
She had eaten cockles and clams collected on Gravina Island and within minutes experienced numb lips, followed by tingling in the fingers and toes and numbness from feet to knees.
She was treated and released at the hospital.
A lab confirmed PSP on Friday.
Wilkinson said PSP is an ever-present danger and can't be cooked or cleaned out of shellfish.
He said people should seek immediate care if they experience symptoms and that PSP can kill.
Story tags » HealthHazardous MaterialsFishing

More Northwest Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates


Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus