Mariners select New Mexico 3B D.J. Peterson with 12th pick in MLB Draft
Peterson, a junior, won the Mountain West Conference triple crown each of the last two years, and hit .408 with 18 home runs last season.
"DJ is one of the top college position players in the draft with tremendous athletic ability," Mariners director of amateur scouting Tom McNamara said in a press release. "We look forward to having him in our organization and working his way towards being a part of our Major League roster in the future."
Baseball America called Peterson the best pure hitter and the second best power hitter amongst all college players in its annual Best Tools survey.
This is the fourth time in five drafts under GM Jack Zduriencik that the Mariners have used their top pick on a college player (Dustin Ackley in 2009, Danny Hultzen in 2011 and Mike Zunino last year).
Most recent Seattle Sidelines posts
- Pete Carroll’s explanation for the final play call and some player reaction Feb. 1
- Seahawks-Patriots Super Bowl XLIX game thread Feb. 1
- Super Bowl pregame links Feb. 1
- Seahawks-Patriots inactives: Kam Chancellor is playing Feb. 1
- Seahawks reportedly have offered Marshawn Lynch a 'huge contract extension' Feb. 1
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.