Arboretum party: The Evergreen Arboretum & Gardens is celebrating its 50th anniversary with a free garden party from 5 to 7 p.m. June 21. Radio gardening expert Scott Connor will be there to answer questions and the Everett Chorale will perform. Guides will offer tours of the arboretum. Tickets for the Gardens of Merit tour (see item below) on June 22 will be available. The arboretum is at 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. See www.evergreenarboretum.com or call 425-257-8597.
Gardens of Merit Tour: Visit eight residential gardens on a self-guided tour from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 22 to support the Evergreen Arboretum & Gardens. Tickets are $10 and available online www.evergreenarboretum.com, at Sorticulture, at the arboretum on the day of the tour, and after June 1 at Sunnyside Nursery, Marysville; Pacific Stone Co., Everett; J.Matheson, Everett; Lamoureux Real Estate, Everett; Under the Red Umbrella, Everett; My Garden Nursery, Mill Creek. You can also shop the plant sale from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the upper parking lot of the arboretum at 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. call 425-257-8597 or email@example.com for more information.
Tour and tea: The Oak Harbor Garden Club's self-guided tour of six gardens is set for 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 29. Admission is a $15 donation to benefit garden club projects and the community and includes tea and treats. Advance tickets are for sale from garden club members, the Oak Harbor and Coupeville Chambers of Commerce, Purple Bench, Hummingbird Farm, Mailliard's Landing Nursery, Wind & Tide Bookstore, Greenhouse Nursery and Bayleaf stores. Call Tina Byrner, 360-720-2562 with questions.
Evergreen Arboretum and Gardens 2013 lectures: Noon to 1 p.m. select Saturdays, at the arboretum, 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett, either in the indoor classroom or, when appropriate, outside on the arboretum grounds. All the classes are free. Seating is limited and some classes require registration. Call 425-257-8597 to register. Go to www.evergreenarboretum.com to learn more.
- June 15: Dahlias with Dick Weakley, master gardener
- July 20: Summer care of Japanese maples with Trevor Cameron of Sunnyside Nursery
- Aug. 17: Native plants with Andy Sudkamp, a horticulturist and biology teacher. Meet at the arboretum entrance for a tour.
Interior design classes: Kelly DuByne of Distinctive Interior Designs and Monika Krisofferson of Efficient Oranization NW offer the following classes. Go to www.distinctiveinteriordesigns.net or call 425-238-3678, or go to www.EfficientOrganizationNW.com or call 425-220-8905 to learn more.
Get Psyched about Color: Free brown-bag lunch session June 26 at Chapell Hill Fire Station 1825 S. Lake Stevens Road, Lake Stevens.
Marysville Parks & Recreation: Classes 6 to 7:30 p.m. at Marysville Library, 6120 Grove St. $22. Register at 360-363-8400, www.marysvillewa.gov.
- June 6: Paint Your Home Like a Pro
Darrington Cascade Senior Center: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 7 and 8, 1115 Darrington St., Darrington. Vegetable and perennial plants. Call 360-436-0646 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Meerkerk Gardens: Purple Passion Sale, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 8 and 9 at Meerkerk Gardens, 3531 Meerkerk Lane, Greenbank. Purple blooming rhododendrons, species and hybrid rhododendrons and companion plants from 1 gallon to 6 feet tall. Wear purple and receive a free plant. Entrance to the garden is free on sale days. Call 360-678-1912 or go to www.meerkerkgardens.org for more information.
Evergreen Arboretum: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 22 at 145 Alverson Blvd., Everett. Trees, shrubs, perennials, ground covers, grasses, roses and herbs. Sale benefits arboretum projects. See www.evergreenarboretum.com or call 425-257-8597 for more information.
These local nurseries feature gardening classes, guest speakers and special events throughout the year, often for no charge. Check their websites or call for details.
- Christianson's Nursery and Greenhouse: 15806 Best Road, Mount Vernon; 360-466-3821; www.christiansonsnursery.com
- Falling Water Gardens: Free classes in creating and caring for a pond, 17516 Highway 203, Monroe; 360-863-1400, www.fallingwatergardens.com.
- McAuliffe's Valley Nursery: 11910 Springhetti Road, Snohomish; 360-862-1323; www.mcauliffesvalleynursery.com
- Molbak's Garden & Home: 13625 NE 175th St., Woodinville; 425-483-5000; www.molbaks.com
- My Garden: 17414 Bothell-Everett Highway, Mill Creek; 425-402-1842; www.mygardennursery.com
- Pine Creek Nursery: 23225 Sofie Road, Monroe; 360-863-8866; www.pinecreeknursery.com
- Plant Shack: 2829 164th St. SW, Lynnwood; 206-390-1422; www.plantshacknursery.com/
- Sky Nursery: 18528 Aurora Ave. N., Shoreline; 206-546-4851; www.skynursery.com
- Sunnyside Nursery: 3915 Sunnyside Blvd., Marysville; 425-334-2002; www.sunnysidenursery.net
- The Plant Farm at Smokey Point: 15022 Twin Lakes Ave., Marysville; 360-652-3351; www.theplantfarm.com
- Wight's Home & Garden: 5026 196th St. SW, Lynnwood; 425-775-3636; www.wights.com
Got a gardening question? You can call the master gardener hotline from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. at 425-357-6010 or go to the Home & Garden section at snohomish.wsu.edu.
To submit an item for the Home & Garden calendar, e-mail email@example.com.
More Home and Garden Headlines
South Everett couple created show-stopper from a brown mess of a yard Now is the best time to plant spring bulbs Grant Plant Pick: Pennisetum orientale “Karley Rose” Vases make tulips bloom indoors Flat, satin or semi-gloss? Brush up on paint types Home & Garden calendar Monte Cristo awards ceremony is Oct. 8 Plant of Merit: Kalette
Our to-do list full of ideas for your weekend
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.