Give Dad savory stuffed peppers to nosh on
They work perfectly as a precursor to a grilled entree or on a platter of other savory munchies while watching the game.
Use whatever sausage you (or Dad) prefer. We like the zip of a hot sausage, but a sweet sausage works well, too.
If you're looking for even less heat, you can substitute baby bell peppers in place of the jalapenos.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 2 scallions, green and white parts, chopped
- 6 jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese, cheddar, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, sausage and scallions. Spoon the mixture into the jalapenos halves, then arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
In a small bowl, stir together the butter, smoked paprika and panko. Spoon the panko mixture onto the filling in the jalapenos. Bake for 15 minutes, or until bubbly and golden.
Makes 6 servings. Per serving: 230 calories; 180 calories from fat (78 percent of total calories); 20 g fat (10 g saturated; 0 g trans fats); 55 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrate; 1 g fiber; 1 g sugar; 7 g protein; 270 mg sodium.
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.