The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
Options considered to restore grizzly bear population to county Feds approve PUD's two small hydroelectricity projects Everett schools expand summer reading program Mukilteo ferry terminal construction crews begin asbestos removal WWII veteran from Arlington reflects on his fight for freedom School bus barn work begins on 15-acre spot in Lynnwood Front Porch: Island County seeks applicants School Winners
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.