The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
Bus riders who don’t pay cost the system, taxpayers more than $1 million last year Somers pulling Lovick backers in Snohomish County executive race Gas tax increases by 7 cents in Washington ‘Night Out’ block parties more popular than ever Small brush fire in Monroe burning near homes, power lines Class Reunions Local elections should trump the Donald for our attention this week Water quality rules might be up to feds after Inslee drops rewrite
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.