The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
When he saw his neighbor’s home on fire, Kaiden, 17, didn’t hesitate Edmonds hires firm to tackle downtown traffic snarl Family holds vigil for man who died in Island County Jail Front Porch: Fire districts open houses 2 arrested in fatal shooting of teen near Lynnwood Judge says molestation trial of former police sergeant can proceed Copper-wire theft knocks out power near Cathcart Police in Mountlake Terrace seek stabbing suspect
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.