The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
Voters overwhelmingly chose Sultan’s newest councilman, 21 Hearing set on car allowances for Snohomish County officials Burn ban lifted in Snohomish County — except Darrington 11:51 a.m. Mukilteo School District ponders change as enrollment continues to surge Monroe High's Cameron Lee wants to pursue theater, music interests Front Porch: Convent holds Christmas festival in Stanwood Community Calendar school winners
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.