The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
Lobsang Dargey company denies wrongdoing in alleged fraud Study: Merge county’s SNOPAC and SNOCOM dispatch centers Sound Transit’s wish list of Snohomish County projects grows PUD replacing county’s aging electrical systems Evergreen fair wants to be greenest event of its kind in country Front Porch: Celebrate recovery Evergreen State Fair judging results Objection delays release of records in school shootings
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.