The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
Kids explain it all: 'Thanksgiving is all about turkeys' Jail might start housing Seattle inmates once again Homeless man pleads guilty in knife attack at Lynnwood RV park Recount will decide Lynnwood race; election turnout deemed ‘discouraging’ Arrest prompts tips to prevent theft of delivered packages Photo: Owl takes a cat nap in Everett Front Porch: Tree lighting ceremony Dec. 4 in Mountlake Terrace Man still in custody for Nov. 12 shooting in Lake Stevens
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.