The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
It’s not easy to keep exotic animals as pets and many fall victim to their own popularity or become pests in an alien environment I-1366 forces state’s hand Details out on proposed vaping ban 6 vie for 3 seats on Snohomish City Council Granite Falls to choose between mayor, city manager Tim Eyman stays mum on probe 1 arrested in Bellevue for Sept. assault, burglary in Monroe Six seek three contested seats on Everett City Council
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.