The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
Six seek three contested seats on Everett City Council 3 honored with Family Values Awards Ronning challenging Rankin in Darrington mayoral race Faith Calendar Arlington man to be extradited in Minn. sex-abuse case Possible norovirus outbreak at Colby living facility Former sergeant admits he helped launder prostitution money Shirley Gilbertson loved her temp job so much, she stayed on for free
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.