The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
Lake Stevens man gets 71 years for 3-city shooting spree 5:19 p.m. Index Town Council candidate losing one race, winning another as a write-in Shoplifting suspects in Monroe return for milk, get busted Council OKs county budget; tax collection for courthouse to continue Man burned in duplex fire caused by candle 5:38 p.m. Herald reporter awarded for ‘compelling’ mental health story Part of Bothell-Everett Highway closed while police check out gunshot 5:12 p.m. Students, Rotary bring Thanksgiving meals to Everett’s needy
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.