The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
Warm waters bring more restrictions on salmon fishing in Tulalip Little is known about bull kelp, which nearly all marine life here relies on Sound Transit succumbs to ‘cost of doing business’ Stanwood-Camano fair expands activities for children Two seek to oust Noble from Edmonds School Board seat Paine Field passenger flights resound with Mukilteo voters Front Porch: Camano Island Library grand opening Crews try to save man pulled from Stillaguamish River
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.