The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
A volunteer finds her niche at Domestic Violence Services 4:05 p.m. Volunteer job at library helps woman find independence, fulfillment Everett woman credits YWCA for getting back on her feet Lake Stevens food bank needs some deposits Schacks' quiet generosity leaves huge legacy in Everett Lutheran Community Services adapts to serve Snohomish County residents' needs Special Friends campers celebrate outdoor fun at Warm Beach Red Cross can count on Gold Bar volunteer
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.