The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
Last stop for the circus elephants in Everett Complaints say that commerce officials helped PUD score a grant Activists pitch plan to divide Everett into districts Former council member sues Lynnwood again, this time for $8K Former heroin addict finds purpose in bringing hope to others Edmonds woman scammed on dating site recovers $22,000 Arlington resource center fills many needs Comment on the Everett Smelter cleanup
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.