The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
In 1915, as war raged in Europe, the Liberty Bell came to Everett Fourth of July events Update to water quality rules could affect county's farmers Lynnwood wants to link up city's existing paths into one trail Teen accused of stabbing his grandmother in Bothell claims he ‘heard voices’ Families, safety and growth are common themes of Lake Stevens council candidates Small brush fire burns on I-5 After the parade, keep the party going at First Baptist Church
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.