The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
B-17 flight brings back memories for Arlington WWII vet 10-year plan looks at ‘big picture’ for Sno-Isle libraries ‘Queen, It’s a New Day’ pampers, empowers women dealing with hardships Monroe inmate’s alleged punch to ‘gain respect’ could result in life term Number of ways to help those affected by wildfires Front Porch: Smoking banned from Everett Station Feds allege fraud bankrolled a big Everett development 1 of 3 suspects arrested after Mukilteo store robbery
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.