The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
Century-old levee is breached to welcome a tide of salmon 4:13 p.m. Union accuses county prosecutor of unfair labor practices Grab the boots and umbrella: Rainís on the way Volunteers needed for Seattle Audubon's annual bird count And they’re off: Evergreen State fair in Monroe opens with animal races Water-saving plan is working, but keep it up, city of Everett says Opportunities The arguments behind tech-track career paths
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.