The man faces a prison sentence. He also could face hundreds of thousands of dollars in restitution for the damage caused by the explosion that followed his ill-timed cigarette break.
The incident happened April 3 at a vacant house in the 1200 block of 41st Street. The man was accused of cutting copper pipes in the basement for scrap metal. He hit a natural gas line. Then, he lit a cigarette.
The house exploded. Windows shattered and the front door was blown off. The man was not seriously injured, except for some singed eyelashes.
Jurors this week convicted him of second-degree burglary and first-degree reckless burning.
More Local News Headlines
State attorneys are investigating Eyman's use of initiative money Panel gives green light to unfair labor practices case against Roe Family recognized for operating same small farm for 127 years Painter Elizabeth Webber leaves a legacy of faith, courage and art People who live along lakes can make a difference to protect them Opportunities Attractions of service obscured by high costs of war Front Porch: Mountlake Terrace storm cleanup
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.