For female backpackers: This is a great guide for any woman who likes to get outdoors a lot. She has some great tips for dealing with hygiene in the backcountry. Read it here.
The Wonderland Trail: Craig Hill and the staff at the News Tribune have put together a fabulous feature on Rainier's 93-mile loop trail. There's a great main story, as well as collection of accompanying stories with great tips on training, packing, eating a lot more. The package also includes a lot of great photos and video clips. Read it here.
Pretty photos: The North Cascades Institute is on Flickr. Check out their photo stream here.
Blood falls: A blood-red waterfall slowly flows down the ice in Antarctica. The waterfall has a fascinating history, and the photos are stunning. See it here.
Slime mold: Did you know that slime mold breathes? Or at least, it really looks like it does. This time lapse video of slime mold in the North Cascades is strangely fascinating.
Yellow Slime Mold Timelapse from sesotek on Vimeo.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Section of Pacific Crest Trail closed due to fire in Glacier Peak Wilderness July 24
- Best shots: Some of my favorite recent outdoor photos July 21
- Photographers catch baby orca 'leaping for joy' July 20
- Student learn leadership, love of nature on trips in North Cascades July 19
- Upcoming outdoor events July 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.