Sunrise, campgrounds opening at Mount Rainier
Warm weather has sped up the snowmelt, allowing staff to open the area. There is still 3-4 feet of snow in the area.
Sunrise is the highest point you can drive in the park. It offers so-close-you-could-almost-touch-it views of Rainier. As its name suggest, Sunrise is on the east side of the mountain and hence offers lovely sunrise views -- if you can get up that early.
The Cougar Rock campground is set to open today. White River campground will open on Friday. Mowich Lake Road, which offers access to the Mowich camping area, the Wonderland Trail and many other hiking trails, will open on July 3. The park staff report that about 3 feet of snow remain in the area.
Other areas in the park that are already open include Ohanapecosh, Paradise, Longmire and Carbon River.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Learn about Puget Sound while helping to protect its waters Jan. 28
- Staircase Rapids: Easy hike along a charming river Jan. 20
- Make reservations now for best summer camping spots Jan. 18
- Got high hopes? Try Everett Mountaineer's scrambling course Jan. 16
- Climbers finish free climb of inspiring route on El Capitan Jan. 14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.