Lemon-lime pops for a hot summer day
The balance of sweet to lip-smacking tang is spot on for a hot summer day. Using yogurt as the base makes these creamy-dreamy but not drippy-sticky like a juice pop. The swirl of graham cracker crumbs really does plop these squarely into frozen dessert territory. I would not hesitate to have one of these pops in place of any pie on July 4th. In my opinion, the icing on this lolli is the punch of protein packed into each treat. Not only do these babies satisfy my sweet tooth, but they are more filling than most sweet snacks.
The recipe is so simple even with the step of making a simple syrup. Now after making a few batches we can squeeze the citrus, make the syrup, and get the molds in the freezer in about 20 minutes. If this sounds long for a popsicle recipe I have two suggestions. First - try a batch and when you taste them you probably won't care how long it took to mix the ingredients together. Second - if you do care about saving a little time, make a double or quadruple batch of the syrup because after you try these you will want to make more ASAP!
Lemon-Lime Cream Pie Pops
These refreshingly tart and tangy popsicles are the perfect treat for hot summer days.
Prep time: 15 - 20 minutes, Freezing time: 4 hours - overnight; Yield 7 (4 oz) servings
Lemon-Lime Simple Syrup
- 1/2 cup of juice (approximately 2 1/2 limes + 1/2 large lemon)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
Cream Pie Pops
- 2 cups non-fat plain Greek yogurt (I prefer Chobani)
- all of the simple syrup (just over 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs (approximately 3 graham sheets or 6 squares)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional - 1 teaspoon fresh lemon & lime zest
Bonus: If you have extra or to make a simple frozen yogurt: place the mixture into the freezer and stir every 45 minutes to 1 hour until the mixture has set to the texture of soft serve ice cream. Should make 7 1/2 cup servings.
Approximate nutrition per serving: 127 calories, .7 g fat, 23 g. carbohydrates, .3 g, fiber, 7 g, protein, PP = 3
Slightly modified from Key Lime Pie Popsicles by Shaina Olmason.
Most recent Light for Life posts
- Selecting, seeding and enjoying pomegranates Dec. 3
- Bring Thanksgiving to a sweet ending with Pumpkin Pie Mousse Nov. 26
- Pumpkin lasagna a great vegetarian Thanksgiving alternative Nov. 19
- On Veterans Day, thoughts turn to sacrifices made on hallowed ground Nov. 11
- Clean out the fridge with this cauliflower 'fried rice' Nov. 5
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.