- On June 30 around 8:30 p.m., a call came in to 911 that a woman had fallen and injured herself on the Lake 22 Trail (near Granite Falls). The SCVSAR team located the victim and helped her down to the trail to an aid car at the trailhead. The victim's age, city of residence, and extent of her injuries are unknown at this time.
- Around 10 p.m. on June 30, a call came into 911 from a concerned family member that her two sons had not returned from rock climbing up at Glacier Peak. The two men walked out late in the night, uninjured and safe, and no rescue was needed.
- At that same time (10 p.m. June 30), a 53-year-old woman lost her way back to the trailhead after summiting Mount Pilchuck. She hesitated to call 911 because she was concerned she would be charged a fee for rescue. (Note: Snohomish County Search and Rescue never charges victims for assistance. It is a volunteer, nonprofit organization made up of volunteers from around Snohomish County and primarily funded through private donations.) The sheriff's office helicopter crew was able to locate the victim using night-vision goggles. SCVSAR walked her out after daylight.
- Friends of two men called 911 around 10 p.m. also June 30 to report that they were missing after they were going to summit Mount Pilchuck earlier in the day. The search teams have located the two 24-year-old men, but they have not yet left the backcountry, as of the time of this press release. More details on this incident will be released when they become available.
The Washington Trails Association has some good tips for safe hiking when the weather gets warm.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- 9 days of wilderness and backpacking on the PCT Sep. 27
- Trip on the PCT is life changing for creator of popular podcast Sep. 27
- Youth volunteers spend two weeks working on PCT Sep. 27
- State parks, national parks, forest service sites will be free on Saturday Sep. 23
- Dance, dine and help underserved kids get outside Sep. 17
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.