Join us July 14 for a free introduction to the Cascades Butterfly Project, a long-term citizen science project that monitors butterfly populations in alpine and subalpine areas in North Cascades National Park, Mount Rainier National Park and Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest. Mountain ecosystems are particularly vulnerable to climate change with alpine meadows expected to shrink dramatically throughout the Cascades Mountain range. We'll be holding a volunteer training for participants to learn more about the project and the ecology of Cascades butterflies. The training will have two components: an hour-long classroom session, followed by a longer afternoon field excursion where we'll practice field ID and scientific research protocols in subalpine meadows.
2. You can hear music outdoors at several state parks this weekend. (Well, one's actually Thursday. Make it a long weekend?)
- Thursday: Kenmore Summer Concert Series at Saint Edward State Park
- Saturday: Celtic Roots performs at Birch Bay State Park
- Saturday: Little Beirut performs at Cape Disappointment State Park
- Saturday: Ryan McKasson and Dave Bartley at Deception Pass State Park
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Section of Pacific Crest Trail closed due to fire in Glacier Peak Wilderness July 24
- Best shots: Some of my favorite recent outdoor photos July 21
- Photographers catch baby orca 'leaping for joy' July 20
- Student learn leadership, love of nature on trips in North Cascades July 19
- Upcoming outdoor events July 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.