The Herald of Everett, Washington
Customer service  |  Subscribe   |   Log in or sign up   |   Advertising information   |   Contact us
HeraldNet on Facebook HeraldNet on Twitter HeraldNet RSS feeds HeraldNet Pinterest HeraldNet Google Plus HeraldNet Youtube
HeraldNet Newsletters  Newsletters: Sign up  Green editions icon Green editions

Butane leak caused 2-alarm Seattle apartment fire

SHARE: facebook Twitter icon Linkedin icon Google+ icon Email icon |  PRINTER-FRIENDLY  |  COMMENTS
Associated Press
SEATTLE -- The Seattle Fire Department says a leaking canister of butane gas caused a two-alarm fire Wednesday morning in Seattle.
Spokesman Kyle Moore says a man had the canister stored in his refrigerator. The fumes exploded when the refrigerator cycled on. The blast awakened the man who safely escaped along with more than 30 other residents of the four-story building in the Beacon Hill neighborhood.
Moore says six of about two-dozen units in the building are uninhabitable. The Red Cross is helping displaced residents.
Damage is estimated at $300,000.
Moore says the fire was called in to 911 at 5:35 a.m. Arriving firefighters saw a column of black smoke coming from a third-story apartment with flames spreading to units above and below.

More Northwest Headlines


HeraldNet Headlines

Top stories and breaking news updates


Share your comments: Log in using your HeraldNet account or your Facebook, Twitter or Disqus profile. Comments that violate the rules are subject to removal. Please see our terms of use. Please note that you must verify your email address for your comments to appear.

You are logged in using your HeraldNet ID. Click here to update your profile. | Log out.

Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.

comments powered by Disqus