Herald to move to Frontier building on 41st Street
"After an exhaustive search we have secured a long-term lease in the Frontier Building on 41st Street in Everett," Herald publisher Josh O'Connor announced in a company-wide email Friday morning.
The Daily Herald will be the majority tenant on the third floor of the south tower.
Frontier Communications sold the building in November to 1800 41st Street LLC, a Delaware corporation registered in Washington. The new owner has plans to upgrade the building.
The south tower has been vacated by Frontier since the purchase, which represents half of the total square footage of the building.
"We looked at other options within the downtown area, but those buildings couldn't provide an open floor plan and parking was very limited," O'Connor wrote.
The new address will be 1800 41st St.
The newsroom, advertising, business office and other departments will be moved from their current location at 1213 California St., overlooking Everett's waterfront. The move is expected to take place in January 2014.
The Washington Post Co., which sold the newspaper to Sound Publishing earlier this year, still owns the Herald building and is anticipated to list it for sale on Aug. 1. The Herald has been at that location since 1959.
MORE HBJ HEADLINES
- Apple stock slumps amid iPhone sales worries 1:15 p.m.
- Why arenít smart TVs very clever? 1:14 p.m.
- Feds probing norovirus outbreak at Chipotle 1:12 p.m.
- Sheriff: Stolen Kentucky whiskey may be destroyed, not sold 1:16 p.m.
- Frack leases on state lands yield $18M; none from production 1:15 p.m.
- Mining industry deaths at all-time low in 2015 1:14 p.m.