Emeralds shut out AquaSox 8-0
The Emeralds shut out the AquaSox 8-0 for the second straight day in another lopsided contest. Friday's shutout had been the first of the year for the Sox.
Eugene (11-18) scored three runs in the second inning to jump out to the early lead, and Hunter Renfroe put the game away with a two-run home run in the bottom of the eighth.
It looked good early for Everett (19-10) and starter Jake Zokan. Zokan struck out three in the first inning, but Eugene's Marcus Davis started the scoring in the second with a three-run double to right field that scored Fernando Perez, Ryan Miller and Chase Jensen.
Eugene took a 4-0 lead in the bottom of the third when Perez singled home Renfroe and tacked on another run in the fifth on Miller's sacrifice fly that scored Trae Santos.
Zokan (1-1) lasted just three innings and gave up six hits and four runs and struck out five.
A throwing error by Everett reliever Min-Sih Chen on a pickoff attempt aided Eugene in the sixth. Ronnie Richardson advanced to second on the miscue and was hit home by Henry Charles' line drive to left field.
Everett's five pitchers combined for 13 strikeouts, but also allowed 13 hits between them.
- Mariners are in a good place at the break 7/14/14
- Mariners' Young wants to improve on first half start 7/14/14
- Tommy John surgery not just for big leaguers 7/14/14
- A's avoid sweep, beat Mariners 4-1 7/13/14
- Hudson, Simon, Street, Clippard added to NL All-Star team 7/13/14
- AquaSox rally in 9th falls short , Canadians win 4-3 7/13/14
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.