This coconut-almond granola is overflowing with good stuff. It begins simply with Attune Foods Uncle Sam cereal. Uncle Sam has great nutrient-dense ingredients (wheat berries and whole flax seeds) and very little sugar. Before adding anything else, you already have a ton of body fueling protein and fiber. By the time the almonds and coconut join the party your body is going to love you (when enjoyed in moderation, of course.)
If you think all of this sounds like hippie food, you may be right. Never fear though, it smells like freshly-made cinnamon toast and tastes like candy. Besides, it was not too long ago I had a discussion with my nutritionist that essentially boiled down to this: "the hippies had it right all along, it has just taken awhile for the rest of us to catch up." In that case, pass the patchouli oil and Birkenstocks I'm going full on granola, and once you try this recipe you'll be signing up to come with me.
Coconut-Almond Uncle Sam Granola
Lightly sweet and perfectly toasted, this granola pairs beautifully with fresh fruit and makes a delicious topping for yogurt or ice cream. Pack a little to-go for a trail snack or mid-afternoon nibble at the office.
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 20 minutes. Yield: 23 (1/2 cup) servings.
5 cups or 1 (13 oz) box of Uncle Sam Original Cereal*
1 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup raw blue agave
1/3 cup raw cane sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper (or a silicon mat) and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, stir together cereal, coconut and almonds.
3. Heat the coconut oil with agave and sugar over medium heat in a small sauce pan until the sugar has melted into the oil and agave. Alternately heat oil, agave and sugar in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 30 seconds at a time for about one-and-a-half to two minutes, stir the mixture every 30 seconds. Once the sugar has melted, stir in the cinnamon.
4. Pour the sugar mixture over the cereal mixture. Use a wooden or silicon spoon to toss the cereal until completely coated by the sugar mixture.
5. Spread the mixture over two parchment-lined cookie sheets and bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes gently toss the mixture on the pan and continue baking for an additional 10 minutes. After baking toss the granola while it cools to room temperature. The more you stir the granola the less it will stick together. The granola should crisp up as it cools.
6. If stored in an airtight container this granola will keep for weeks in the refrigerator or months in the freezer.
Approximate nutrition information: 215 calories, 12 g. fat, 26 g. carbohydrates, 5 g. fiber, 4 g. protein, PP = 6
*Use the Attune Foods Store Locator to find your nearest Uncle Sam retailer.
Most recent Light for Life posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.