Dress up cereal with maple, cranberry
There is a delightfully autumnal warmth to the flavors in this granola. The sweetly fragrant combination of maple, cranberry and orange mixed with the hearty chew of buckwheat and hemp flakes might give oatmeal a run for its money when the first whispers of fall weather come around. In the meantime, enjoy this sweet cereal treat with yogurt for breakfast, grab a few bites for a snack, sprinkle over ice cream or use it as a topping for grilled peaches and nectarines.
Maple-Cranberry Coated Cereal
Prep time: 10 minutes. Cook time: 30 minutes. Yield: 14 (1/2 cup) servings.
5 cups or 1 (10 oz box) Erewhon Buckwheat & Hemp cereal*
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup grape seed or vegetable oil
1 tablespoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon all spice
1 cup dried cranberries
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Pour cereal into a large mixing bowl.
3. In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt together the brown sugar, maple syrup and oil, stirring constantly until the mixture resembles a thick syrup. Meanwhile, combine ingredients in a microwave safe dish and heat for 30 seconds then stir. Continue heating and stirring in 30 second intervals until the sugar melts enough to make a thick syrup. When the sugar has blended add the orange zest and all spice. Pour the sugar mixture over the cereal and toss until evenly coated.
4. Spread the cereal on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle the cranberries over the cereal. Gently toss the cereal and cranberries to mix and return the pan to the oven for 15 additional minutes.
5. After baking, stir the granola until it has cooled to room temperature. As it cools the granola will crisp up and become less sticky. Transfer the cooled granola to an airtight container. Store the finished granola in the refrigerator for a few weeks or the freezer for a few months.
Approximate nutrition information: 216 calories, 6.8 g. fat, 39 g. carbohydrates, 3 g. fiber, 3 g. protein, PP = 6.
*Order Erewhon Buckwheat & Hemp cereal online or use the Attune Foods Store Locator to find a retailer in your area.
Most recent Light for Life posts
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.