Salon owner Shizuka Bernstein gives what she calls a Geisha Facial to Mari Miyoshi at Shizuka New York skin care in New York on July 17. The facial, which Bernstein has been offering for five years, is a traditional Japanese treatment using imported Asian nightingale excrement mixed with rice bran, and goes for $180 a pop. Or is that $180 a poop.
That's what goes into facials at a luxury New York City spa.
Women and men visit the Shizuka New York skin care salon for the traditional Japanese treatment using nightingale excrement mixed with ground rice bran. It costs $180.
Shizuka Bernstein owns the spa and applies the poop potion in zen-like rooms graced with orchids. She says nightingale poop is preferred because nightingales eat seeds that produce an enzyme that exfoliates the skin.
The treatment has been known for centuries in Japan but is relatively new in the United States. A spa in Santa Fe, N.M., offers a Nightingale Facial for $129.
Bernstein is a Tokyo native who learned the treatment from her mother.
People always ask her if the poop potion smells.
Yes, she says -- like hay.
- The Buzz: Family business 8/3/13
Most recent Off the Wire posts
- Idaho official: Kobe Bryant’s remarks help save potato truck April 25
- With this rigatoni, I thee wed: The 1st Pastafarian wedding April 16
- Sleepwalking nun faces DUI charge April 14
- Marijuana grinder resembling grenade halts Bellingham airport flights April 12
- Hotline connects you with a random Swede April 9