The official says the navy believes there is no way anyone could have survived the intensity of the blasts and fire Wednesday.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because no bodies have yet been recovered.
Officials had said earlier that there had been no contact with the sailors since the explosions, which lit up the sky above the Mumbai navy base where the vessel was docked. They said navy divers had opened one of its hatches but had not yet been able to enter the submarine because it was dark and full of muddy water.
More Nation & World Headlines
Arby’s disciplines workers who refused to serve cop TSA screener charged in theft of $7,000 watch 2:01 p.m. Falling SAT scores prompt alarm over high schools Stephen Colbert, Jeb Bush are in social media feud over tickets Kentucky clerks to license marriages as their boss is jailed Saudis seek to reload arsenal with Boeing bombs French confirm wing part is from missing Malaysia 777 Donald Trump vow to GOP: No third-party bid
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.