The official says the navy believes there is no way anyone could have survived the intensity of the blasts and fire Wednesday.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because no bodies have yet been recovered.
Officials had said earlier that there had been no contact with the sailors since the explosions, which lit up the sky above the Mumbai navy base where the vessel was docked. They said navy divers had opened one of its hatches but had not yet been able to enter the submarine because it was dark and full of muddy water.
More Nation & World Headlines
Russian warplanes unlikely to turn tide in Syrian war Abortion, race, birth control top high court agenda Black Death may be locked in ancient flea It's a time of tumult for House Republicans California winemakers use less water to grow grapes Police officer retires after 35 years without sick day Newport Jazz Festival founder George Wein turns 90 No sign found of U.S. ship missing near Bahamas
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.