Campers in state park campgrounds west of the Cascade crest may resume having campfires in provided campfire rings and also may use charcoal briquettes in grills and braziers.
The parks department is following the lead of Commissioner of Public Lands Peter Goldmark, who announced Thursday he is lifting the ban on recreational fires in approved fire pits on forest lands under the Department of Natural Resources fire protection, within state, county and municipal or other campgrounds in Western Washington.
A ban on campfires and use of briquettes remains in place for all state parks in Eastern Washington.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- How to find a campsite for Fourth of July weekend June 30
- Volunteers needed in Henry M. Jackson, Wild Sky and Alpine Lakes wildernesses June 26
- What a smoke-jumper sees when leaping from a plane June 25
- Volunteers needed this weekend at fire lookout near Darrington June 25
- Upcoming outdoor events June 21
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.