Campers in state park campgrounds west of the Cascade crest may resume having campfires in provided campfire rings and also may use charcoal briquettes in grills and braziers.
The parks department is following the lead of Commissioner of Public Lands Peter Goldmark, who announced Thursday he is lifting the ban on recreational fires in approved fire pits on forest lands under the Department of Natural Resources fire protection, within state, county and municipal or other campgrounds in Western Washington.
A ban on campfires and use of briquettes remains in place for all state parks in Eastern Washington.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Section of Pacific Crest Trail closed due to fire in Glacier Peak Wilderness July 24
- Best shots: Some of my favorite recent outdoor photos July 21
- Photographers catch baby orca 'leaping for joy' July 20
- Student learn leadership, love of nature on trips in North Cascades July 19
- Upcoming outdoor events July 16
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.