Update on work at Monte Cristo
I talked to Peter Forbes, the district ranger for the Darrington District, earlier this week. He said work on the cleanup of the area will begin soon. The first step is to build an access road. That could begin in the next week or so.
The early work won't require closing the town site, however. In fact, the town site may not even close at all this year, depending upon how work goes. Forbes says he expect hikers will be able to access it at least through September.
If you'd like to hike it, you can always check conditions on the Forest Service's website.
If you'd like to know more about the work, we wrote about it earlier here.
Most recent Explore NW posts
- Make reservations now for best summer camping spots Jan. 18
- Got high hopes? Try Everett Mountaineer's scrambling course Jan. 16
- Climbers finish free climb of inspiring route on El Capitan Jan. 14
- Parks, Forest Service go fee-free for MLK Day Jan. 14
- Learn the basics of boating at upcoming classes Jan. 9
Our new comment system is not supported in IE 7. Please upgrade your browser here.